Throughout the year, we participate in activates that incorporate the five elements of language arts: Reading, writing, speaking listening, and viewing. The students are challenged to use their inferential and critical reading and thinking abilities and to expand their vocabularies through our “Word of the Day” program. Process writing is taught, modeled and encouraged because it allows the students to “take charge” of their own writing, and it creates confidence in written expression. Inspiring enthusiastic readers and creative authors is the goal of this program. Language Arts activities are selected to correlate with the state standards and the St. Paul Lutheran School curriculum.
- Actor Visits form the Great Lakes Theater
- Trips to musicals and plays
- Young Adult Novels and Classic Literature are studied
- Variety of writing projects
- Grammar, punctuation and mechanics lessons
- Word of the Day
- Participation in writing competitions including Power of the Pen
Our engaging classrooms enable us to differentiate all learning styles one on one.The teachers are passionate for literacy, and this passion is passed on to the students.Various learning styles and individual differences are recognized.